Saturday, May 26, 2012

Slow Cooker Beef and Rice Hash


I have no idea where I found this recipe. I know I found it on the Internet a long time ago, but I do not remember where. It is soooo good. My dad even really likes this one. That's all I have to say about this recipe....that it is easy to make and so incredible and fantastic and delicious. Here is the (obviously) very loved recipe:


Step One: Turn your crockpot on to "Low." Yes, I realize nothing is in it yet.










Look closely. Do you see all the little cracks on the inside of my lovely, yellow crockpot? Those cracks form when you put hot food into a room temperature/cold crockpot. For this reason, you need to turn on your crockpot before you add ingredients for this recipe. It will still work when it is cracked, but it looks funny.

Isn't it fun to learn?



Step Two: Season the ground chuck with salt. I probably use about 1/2 t.










Step Three: Brown the ground chuck, and then transfer to the crockpot with a slotted spoon or spatula.

Note: Sometimes, I cook and drain the ground chuck the night before, and I mix everything together before I go to work. Some sweet person who has a job that allows them to come home for lunch turns on the crockpot then. If the ground chuck has had plenty of time to cool, there is no need to preheat the crockpot.


Step Four: Chop the veggies. I usually chop them up while the beef cooks. Here is a mini-lesson on chopping bell peppers.

1: Carefully cut a circle in the top of the pepper.






2: Make two or three cuts down the pepper from the top of the circle you made to the bottom. 









3: Twist out the circle, and pull the pepper halves or thirds apart. Discard the circle.

Look how pink my hand looks. Do I wash my hands that much?!






4: Cut off the thick part at the bottom of the pepper, and then carefully scrape out those light colored ribs and seeds. I usually cut them into several pieces to make it easier to get my knife in there.







5: Cut the peppers into strips, and then turn the strips to cut them into small cubes. Ta-da! Mini-lesson over.









Step Five: Cut the onions, too, so that they will be ready for the slow cooker!










This is the rice that I use. It is called "converted" rice and can hold up in a slow cooker without turning to mush. Very important.

This can of tomatoes has garlic and onion in it, but I usually use the plain ol' diced tomatoes. Actually, I use whatever is on sale...which is the real reason I have this particular can.





Step Six: You will be happy to know that other than browning and chopping, you just dump everything else into the slow cooker. This is a SUPER EASY meal.

Add the rice,...







...the tomatoes (NOT DRAINED),...











...the Worcestershire, the chili powder, the salt,...






...bell peppers, and the onions.












Step Seven: Mix it all up!











Step Eight: Put the lid on, and let the mixture cook on low 4-5 hours. No peeking!

I once read that every time you take the lid off a slow cooker/crock pot, you have to add 30 additional minutes of cooking time. Who has time for that?





Ta-da! Yummm....











The first couple of times I made this, my dad ate it with crackers. I poked fun at him...until I tried it. I usually don't even use a fork. I just use the crackers as shovels...:)










Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Beef and Rice Hash
Click here for printable version
1 lb ground chuck
1 med onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes (or diced)
1/2 converted rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 t. chili powder
1 1/4 t. salt
saltine crackers, optional

Preheat the slow cooker to low heat. Break up the ground chuck in a medium skillet as you cook it on med-high heat until no longer pink; drain. Place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover. Cook on low for about 6 hours. Eat with crackers if you would like.

Side Note: If you put the hot, cooked ground chuck in the slow cooker without preheating it, it can cause the inside of the slow cooker to crack. Mine is cracked. It still works, but it looks weird.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. "I always not only drain my meat, but rinse it with hot water. This will get all of the grease off. Then I leave it sitting in the collander over couple of paper towels for a few minutes to get as much water off as it can. Then I will bag or freeze it. And we always do salt, pepper, and garlic in all of our ground beef recipes. Access the Dark Web Deep Web stories Deep Web Reddit Links Deep Web Browsers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...