Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bama Steak and Cheese Sandwiches


My mom works with a lady who gave our family this wonderful recipe. She said that she makes these sandwiches for parties, and there are never any left. I have never been able to even get them to make it to a party...we always eat them all! Here is my recipe card (I do actually follow this one):

You will need two packages of roast beef. I'm sure that someone somewhere sells 1 lb packages of roast beef, but I have not seen them at my store. ...and I'm ok with that :).



Step One: Chop up a small onion.






Step Two: Pour out the contents of a roast beef package. Leave it all in a lump like this because...





...if you leave them like that, it makes cutting the roast beef a bit easier. I just made three or four cuts to make cut all of the contents of one package into ribbons :).

Repeat with the other package.



Southern Product Alert: Ok, so I realize that not everyone who reads this blog is from the South, so here is your Southern product lesson for the day: This is Dale's seasoning. I usually get the low-sodium kind because it can be quite salty (and I am a salt lover, but it is still quite salty for me). If you cannot find Dale's seasoning, I would try using half low-sodium soy sauce and half Worcestershire. I actually might try that myself some day soon...




Step Three: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

Isn't this pan pitiful? It used to be a non-stick pan. It has been loved.



Step Four: Add 2 T. Dale's seasoning, and mix well.





Step Five: Add onions. Cook until they are soft.






Step Six: Add all of that roast beef that you cut up to the pan,...




...mix with the sauce, and cook until just warmed through.








Step Seven: Take one of these awesome pre-measured bags of two cups of mozzarella cheese (or you can measure out two cups of cheese...I just love these pre-measured deals)...









...and sprinkle it all over the top.






Step Eight: While you wait for the cheese to melt, split your soft deli rolls. My favorite kind is in the picture. This recipe will fill four of these.






Just for fun, I'll show you how I split these rolls. :)




Step Nine: When the cheese is all melty like this, turn off the heat,...







...open up a roll so that he is ready to receive all that melty goodness,...







...spoon the meat mixture onto the roll,...







...and squish the top back onto the sandwich. Mmmm.








I like to cut mine in half if I am serving them for lunch/dinner because it makes them easier to pick up.

You can cut them into slider sizes if you are serving them for a party. You can get 4 or 5 little sandwiches from each sandwich.




I like to serve them with Easiest Potato Wedges.
Ta-da! Yummmm....I think I'll go make them again!












Bama Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
Click here for printable version
1 lb Deli Roast Beef
2 c. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
4 T. Butter
1 small onion
, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
3 T. Dale's Seasoning, divided
4 Soft Deli Rolls

Chop up roast beef. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add 2 T. Dale's seasoning. Add onions and peppers. Saute' until tender. Add roast beef and an additional 1 T. of Dale's seasoning. Continue cooking over medium heat until just warmed. Sprinkle all of the cheese on top, and let it sit until melted. Spoon the mixture onto rolls.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Those cheese sandwiches are mouth-watering! Maybe that’s why there was no left-over. People want to have a bite of this appetizing recipe. The steps are quite simple and easy to follow. Everyone can definitely do this at home. However, I have to agree with you on the seasoning. Some people would prefer a less salty dish, so they can use an alternative seasoning with the same delicious taste.

    -Liz Peters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...